pandas 2.0 Design Documents¶
These documents are a work in progress. Please see ongoing discussions on http://github.com/pydata/pandas-design
These are a set of documents, based on discussions started in December 2015, to assist with discussions around changes to Python pandas’s internal design intended to better accommodate the evolving needs of the growing Python data userbase and to help ensure that pandas remains a relevant and important project in the future.
We also will use this place to collect ideas for things to remove (such as deprecated features, but possibly other things) from the library that don’t necessarily depend on the internal implementation.
- Goals and Motivations
- Internals: Data structure changes
- Logical types and Physical Storage Decoupling
- Missing data consistency
- Removal of BlockManager / new DataFrame internals
- Building “libpandas” in C++11/14 for lowest level implementation tier
- Logical types for strings and possibly other non-numeric data
- 3rd-party native API (i.e. Cython and C / C++)
- Internals: Enhanced string / UTF-8 handling
- View semantics and Copy-On-Write
- Other miscellaneous ideas